Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 
My objective for this blog is to give others an idea of the life of a hard-core Expat. Expat, according to Wikipedia, is "someone temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of their upbringing or legal residence".

When I started out, I thought it was temporary. I thought I would live abroad for one or maybe two years. Now, it sure seems like it might be a permanent thing. In fact, somewhere in the middle, in the late 1990's, I returned to the USA for two years. I had a corporate job in New Jersey and hated it. I constantly dreamed about returning to Europe: enjoying a coffee is a sunny European cafe or jetting off to the Greek Islands or Paris whenever the urge called. So, when a job offer bekoned me back to Europe I jumped at it; eventhough it meant taking a vicious pay-cut (salaries over here are not the same as salaries in the USA). When that company reorganized and relocated, I had a tough decision to make. Do I return to the USA, to a corporate job and a life that is not meant for me? Or do I strike out on my own?

I tried to find a job in Europe, but it didnt work out. Either I didnt have the right work permit or I didnt speak the right languages or I wasn't the age range they were looking for (in Europe Ageism is not yet politically incorrect. Job profiles frequent state prefered age of the candidate).

So, I created my own company. With the company, I was granted a couple of residency permits. First I got a residency permit in The Netherlands, where I was located when my last company reorganized. Then for a variety of reasons (maybe I will tell you later) we moved it to Switzerland. Here we are now, trying to make the company a success. And it is successful! Sort of succeessful, almost successful, marginally successful. But we have our dreams, hopes and plans. And for now, it gives us the hope that we can stay here for the long run.

Comments:
This looks like a potentially interesting new blog, and we wish you well. We might, however, take issue with your definition of 'expat' - even if Wikipedia was the source of your definition. Surely, the word expat, at least in UK-English usage, carries certain pejorative overtones. It hints of one who affects to somehow stand apart from the society and culture in which she or he has elected to reside. Is that what you intended?

Susanne Kries & Nicky Gardner
Editors / hidden europe magazine
 
Thanks for your comment. Initially I was surprised by it, because I have used the term Expat for so long. But now I recall that before I moved abroad, I rarely heard the term.

People who live outside their country of residence typically use the term Expat to describe themselves. You can visit a few online Expat communities (such as ExpatExchange.com and Expatica.com). In corporate life, one speaks of "Expat Packages", which are specially designed compensation packages for people who are living abroad. It provides for internationally medical plans and international schooling for children. Believe me that in this sense, there is nothing pejorative about it. It simply describes someone who is living abroad, for more than simply touristic purposes.

I can understand the confusion because the term is short for expatriate which can also means to withdraw from society. To be expatriated means to be banished from society. This is a completely different meaning for the term and is not what I intended. Thanks for giving me the chance to clarify this.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?